Sunday, November 13, 2011

That 70's thing.

A few years ago when I was in a fabric store that shall remain nameless.( fabricland ottawa ) I saw this fabric and on an impulse brought it home. Cushions, I thought. It was bright and fun and the right colours for our family room....
Robert Allen in Kelly Mahogany from Ruby-Beeswax-Geranium Prints and Coordinates

When I brought it home, my hubby said "Oh no! That is not happening!" Normally he has no issue with what I choose and is really easy going about it. This was shocking!

Turns out it reminded him of the ugly 70's when his mom would bring home orange curtains from rummage sales and proudly explain that she only paid a quarter for them.

I think he had a physical reaction to this fabric. He was really sincerely bothered by it. Rather than press the issue, I figured it's just fabric, no big deal.

I began, however, to question my judgement. Did I really have bad taste? Was this fabric so hideous that it could never be loved?

Imagine how justified I felt when our Robert Allen rep Leisia dropped off a line of new prints and coordinates the other day. There it was, the unloved, ugly 70's fabric! At least Robert Allen agrees with me.

Oh yes, I'm smiling.

Is it really that bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment